The Oestrich-Winkel crane is symbolic of the small town, located around ten miles upstream of Bingen, on winegrowing land on the right bank of the Rhine. Constructed in 1744, the crane was used to load an unload shipments of wine on cargo ships right up to 1926. The main customers for the wines produced in the Bingen region were in Cologne, Bremen and even Amsterdam. All the wine was transported by boat.
Current image JPEG image — 259 KB
Current image JPEG image — 73 KB